News Briefs

By Yueying Zhu

Counselor helps students to find colors that match their skin tones

South counselor Sandra Marshall assists students in finding the color that fits them best in The Art of Color March 21. Bogdan Sierra Miranda/The Collegian
South counselor Sandra Marshall assists students in finding the color that fits them best in The Art of Color March 21.
Bogdan Sierra Miranda/The Collegian

A South Campus counselor helped college students find the color that suited them best March 21.

As a part of individual professional reflection, Sandra Marshall presented The Art of Color.

“You need to determine what undertone is in that color and how that is going to affect your skin tone,” she said.

People usually select colors that match their surface tones, Marshall said.

“The surface tones are what we actually see,” she said. “The undertones are when you look carefully. You may have the same skin tone as someone, but you have different undertones.”

The different undertones include cool, warm and neutral.

Marshall used several examples to teach audience members how to distinguish different undertones and to determine their own.

“If you have the cool color, you can have pink, red or bluish undertones,” she said. “I have a cool skin color. I have a reddish undertone, and I also have a golden undertone.”

If people have warm skin color, they can have yellow, peachy and golden undertones, Marshall said.

The neutral undertone is a mix of warm and cool undertones.

“They have both cool and warm undertones, such as Nicole Kidman,” Marshall said. “She has the warm undertone.”

Different hair color and color contact lenses also will affect someone’s undertone.

If people want to try different dress colors, Marshall said they could go to a hair salon or wear color contact lenses to change their undertones.

By Jessica Espinoza

NE Campus to hold Plus 50 AARP Back to Work Session

Plus 50 AARP Back To Work Session is for those looking for full-time work.

The event will take place 10 a.m.-noon April 12 in the NE Campus Innovation Forum (NLIB 2100C).

Back To Work 50+ offers people 50 and older information, training and access to opportunities for regaining employment. It helps people build financial stability and helps workers from slipping back into poverty.

It offers a coaching program that helps individuals target their job search, get job leads and find resources while looking for the next job. People interested in this session can contact event coordinator Debra Sykes West at 817-515-6150 or debra.sykeswest@tccd.edu.

To register for a local session, call 1-855-850-2525. For more information, visit www.aarp.org/backtowork50plus.

By Abisola Adeyemi

South students get prepped on fashion from specialists

In honor of South Campus’ Fashion Week, students learned how to dress according to their body type March 23.

South counselor Sandra Marshall and Jessica Hoover, assistant manager of a local retail store, led this workshop.

“I have worked in the fashion business for many years as a fashion show coordinator for local malls and retail facilities and other types of organizations,” Marshall said. “I have dressed individuals of all body shapes. I am very passionate about fashion and makeup.”

Marshall wanted students to know there are some do’s and don’ts in selecting appropriate garments for specific body shapes.

Hoover said students could shop different designer styles on a budget at her resale and design shop in Fort Worth.

She showed students how different patterns and colors of garments flatter different body types. She went over the apple, pear, hourglass and rectangle body figures to explain how students can use a piece of garment such as a belt to accentuate what they have.

Quizzes and handouts were provided to students at the end of the workshop to assist them when purchasing different styles of clothing while they’re out shopping on their own.

By Abisola Adeyemi

TR counselor teaches grit, perseverance for success

In Building Resiliency March 23, a TR counselor said certain disappointments and life happenings such as transportation, losses and setbacks tend to have students feeling overwhelmed in school.

“As counselors, sometimes we have to work with students that need a little bit of a push,” Mandy Melton said.

She described resiliency as an indescribable quality that allows one to be knocked down by life and get back up again.

Resilient people usually possess traits such as positive viewpoints about themselves and others around them, Melton said. They develop realistic plans and stick to them, and they usually have emotional intelligence that allows them to perceive things better.

Melton also referenced Angela Lee Duckworth, who speaks about her philosophy that grit is the passion and perseverance for a long-term goal.

Melton said students need more than resiliency. Grit is needed as well as the passion to keep moving forward. Resiliency is the get-back-up power while grit looks at things from a long-term perspective.

“Grit is living life like a marathon, not a sprint,” Duckworth says.

Although situations in life can cloud one’s vision, students should seek the good over the bad, Melton said. Students should always focus on the things they can control, and TCC counselors are always available if students ever want to talk.

By Angela Brown

Zika Virus speech will bring awareness to South students

The Zika virus is the first in a long while that causes birth defects in children, South biology professor Lisa Johnson said.

To make students and others more aware of the problem, South Campus is sponsoring Mosquito-borne Disease — Zika, Chikungunya, Dengue, and West Nile at 2 p.m. April 6 in the SETC Fusion Room.

Two Tarrant County public health department officials, epidemiology division manager Russell Jones and vector control supervisor Nina Dacko, will speak on the mosquito-borne viral disease, the history, the prevalence and the threat for the future in this area.

This discussion aims to help people to understand the risk, especially women who are pregnant, thinking of becoming pregnant or know someone who may be pregnant, Johnson said.

Information on dengue, Chikungunya and West Nile diseases also will be presented.

Jones will share the common symptoms seen while Dacko will discuss mosquito control and Tarrant County’s implementation plan for this issue.

By Yueying Zhu

Basics of financial aid to be taught on South Campus

The South financial aid director will present Financial Aid for College Success April 5.

Jolynn Sprole will address how to apply for financial aid and remain eligible as well as explain financial literacy and the process for releasing funds.

“This presentation deals with the student receiving financial aid at TCCD or plans to seek financial aid at a four-year school,” she said.

Since most students are concerned about scholarships, Sprole said she will talk about TCC’s scholarship application process.

“I want students to learn how to apply for financial aid, rights and responsibilities toward financial aid and loan debt — what and how it can affect a student,” she said.

Students will have access to the 2017-2018 FAFSA form in October.

“They will use the 2015 tax information again to complete the 2016-17 FAFSA form this year,” she said.

The presentation will be 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m. in the SSTU Texas Room on South Campus.