Next Generation console wars has begun

Microsoft and Sony release their next innovations in premium home entertainment

Jose Romero

The Xbox Series X/S is on the market and the PlayStation 5 will follow on Nov. 12. Faculty and students’ enthusiasm is contagious. The consoles have no compromises to graphics or frame rate, the frequency a pic-ture changes per second, Xbox Games gen-eral manager of marketing Aaron Green-berg said to Gaming Bolt“

The PlayStation is good if you have a prior attachment to the titles but the Xbox offers GamePass which has some of the best value for your money,” TCC student Kevin Reyes said. GamePass is a $10 monthly service that gives users access to over 100 games, and English associate professor Johansen Quijano said GamePass will be a console seller. “The Xbox GamePass upgrade from PC looks like too good of a deal to pass up on,” he said.

The design of the consoles was anoth-er consideration, which was the final nail in the coffin for Quijano. The PlayStation 5 is tall and white with protruding side covers that have blue accents. The Xbox is a tall cylindrical black box with green accents on the top.

“The Series X looks like a classy ta-bletop box, the PS5 looks like some kind of fake toy console,” he said.

Johansen didn’t dismiss the PlaySta-tion entirely. He said he’s excited about the PS5’s first party offerings. His most anticipated games include, “Marvel’s Spiderman: Miles Morales,” “Horizon Forbidden West” and most of all “Final Fantasy XVI.”

His most anticipated games include, “Marvel’s Spiderman: Miles Morales,” “Horizon Forbidden West” and most of all “Final Fantasy XVI.” All of these games will only be available on PlayStation plat-forms.

Exclusive titles contribute to console sales, which are reflected by the units sold.

The PS4 sold 113 million units com-pared to Xbox, which sold 50 million units. Microsoft stated that its acquisition of Zen-iMax Media for $7.5 billion was to acceler-ate its growth in the gaming business.