Viewpoint – NFL draft could prove fruitful for Cowboys

By Jeremy moorecampus news editor

The Dallas Cowboys had a very disappointing season this past year, but the 2016 NFL Draft provides hope for them and their fans.

Many believe the Cowboys should draft a quarterback with the fourth pick in the draft. With Tony Romo aging, it’s obvious the Cowboys will need to find his replacement. This can be addressed later in the draft or in free agency with someone like Robert Griffin III. But defense wins championships, and three defenders should be at the top of the Cowboys’ draft board.

University of California-Los Angeles linebacker Myles Jack can be described best in three words: freak of nature. He played linebacker and running back at UCLA, earning the Pac-12 offensive and defensive rookie of the year award in 2013. He has the speed to cover quick receivers and tight ends as well as chase down running backs.

Jack can give the Cowboys the dominant linebacker they need. Putting him alongside Sean Lee can be the start of a strong linebacker corps.

The University of Florida’s Vernon Hargreaves III may have been born to play cornerback. The Cowboys have needed a lockdown cornerback for many years, and Hargreaves may be the man for the job.

Hargreaves is quick, fast and great in mirroring route progressions. He thrives in press, off and zone coverages and has the hands of a receiver. He can also play in special teams, returning punts and kickoffs. Long and tall cornerbacks seem to be a new trend in the NFL, but Hargreaves is a smaller cornerback. Regardless of his size, he can flat out play. He has the ability to cover small and fast receivers as well as big, strong receivers because of his athleticism.

Florida State University defensive back Jalen Ramsey could be the best football player this draft has to offer.

Ramsey plays with the heart, passion and aggressiveness that every coach wants. He showed his versatility at FSU, playing cornerback and safety. He solidified his reputation as a phenomenal athlete at the draft combine, running the 40-yard dash in 4.41 seconds, jumping a 41.5-inch vertical and an 11-foot-3-inch broad.

Ramsey would be an aggressive playmaker for the Cowboys’ secondary. He would probably come in as defensive back Byron Jones did, with questions of whether he should play safety or cornerback, but it won’t matter because he can thrive at either position.

Running back, defensive tackle and quarterback are other needs that the Cowboys have, but they can be addressed later in the draft and maybe in free agency. Jack, Hargreaves and Ramsey are the top prospects the Cowboys should take with the fourth pick.