Nobody should judge healthy friendships

In October last year during the Democratic debate, the candidates were asked about Ellen DeGeneres and former President George W. Bush and told to describe a friendship that would surprise other people.

But why should one’s friendship be a surprise factor to other people? Friendships at school, offices or anyplace, etc. should be one’s business.

Growing up in a very close-minded family, my parents always told my brothers and me about picking the right friends and how it would benefit us in the future, which, in their language, means we should play with people who have the same mindset as us and are incredibly successful so that we can utilize them when needed.

But things do not have to be that way. When one makes friends, they should choose the people that they can trust and feel comfortable with. While it’s important to know their background or belief, it’s mainly to avoid offending them rather than using those as a priority to pick a friend.

My friends don’t define my personality, and the people I’m playing with don’t speak on my behalf of who I am, what I do or things I believe.

During high school, a friend and I would always talk and have lunch with each other. And the others were surprised to know that seeing our generation gaps and different political views.

She is on the other side of my political beliefs, and as I’ve listened to her more, I respect her decisions as to why she voted the way she did.

Needless to say, we’re still talking to this day, and I’m still sticking to my personal beliefs.

There’s no shame in admitting who one makes friends with. After all, nobody understands one’s life better than themselves. More importantly, nobody can change one’s personality and opinions except for themselves.

If anything, it helps one be more informed and become the best version of themselves, as they have acquired both sides of the spectrum.

So, embrace your friendships, be proud of who you make friends with because they are the people who have helped you in realizing yourself.