NW conference explores power of love

By Hope Sandusky/nw news editor

The NW speech discipline will host the Love Conference 9:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m. April 2 in WSTU 1303 with the theme being focused on culture with “Love Knows No Borders.” 

“The purpose of the conference is to help teach how to invest in the health and well-being of our own interpersonal relationships,” communication instructor Jordan Hamon said.

Illustration by Paulina Perez/The Collegian

The Love Conference’s theme this year focuses on the importance of recognizing and appreciating multiple cultures within individuals and other people. The conference will include three sessions over topics such as assimilating into a new culture, supporting veterans’ return into civilian life and handling cultural diversity within the home, such as with the cases of adoption.

Student panels will be included in the first two sessions with the students sharing their personal stories as relating to the session topic. Students will also present global service projects from their classes at the beginning of each session.

The conference’s main speaker, Jeff Stewart, will discuss learning unconditional love when multiple cultural backgrounds are together under one roof.

“I have been given great opportunities to witness what love without conditions looks like,” he said. “This [session] will be a walk through normal life and the opportunities to witness and give unconditional love.”

Students are asked to bring in donations to contribute to the speech students’ global community service project. A list of the needed items can be found on fliers on the campus’ bulletin boards. Money donations are also welcomed.

For more information, contact Hamon at 817-515-7230.