NW hosts success seminars

By Edna Horton/nw news editor

Everything students need to become effective college students will be addressed in the Student Success Seminars on NW Campus 8 a.m.-1 p.m. Sept. 15-16.

Lily Calzada, special services coordinator for NW Campus, said students should expect “to find a seminar topic that relates to their success in the classroom.”

All students can attend the workshops but are asked to register. Early registration is available now through WebAdvisor. Registration for the seminars is the same as registering for classes.

Log in to WebAdvisor and choose “Find Sections.” On the next page under Continuing Education Terms, choose View Courses For 2009 Q1-CE QTR1 2009 Sep-Nov. In the drop down list for subject, choose GENX and NW Campus. The section number is 7050, and the course is listed as Student Success Workshops.

Students can also register early on campus 8 a.m.-noon Sept. 8-14 in the WSTU foyer across from the bookstore. At the event, registration will be 8-11 a.m. in the WTLO theater lobby. Upon completion of registration, each student will receive a goody bag and a T-shirt.

All student workshops will coincide with the end of class times to give students the opportunity to attend the workshop without having to miss class. Some workshops are repeated to give students another opportunity to attend a desired workshop.

Calzada suggests students go with friends and divide the workshops between them. When the workshops are over, they can tell each other what they learned.

Calzada said all the workshops are good, but for first-time students she suggests Taking Good Lecture Notes, Who Am I? How Do I Learn? and The Top 12 Secrets for Student Success.

The fire service and criminal justice training centers will give several public safety demonstrations every 30 minutes from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sept 16. Each demonstration will last 15 minutes, and some demonstrations will involve student participation.

The Fire Service Training Center will also hold a student success celebration at the time of the demonstrations. The first 150 students to attend the celebration will receive free pizza and drinks.

An in-house DJ will provide music, and door prizes will be awarded, including gift cards for Staples and TGI Fridays, a backpack from Office Depot and TCC sweatshirts.