Orchestra performs anime soundtracks

December 4, 2019 | Gunner Young | campus editor
Photo by Vu Nguyen/The Collegian. NW Chamber Orchestra and Choir takes the stage while NW instructor of music Benson Lee conducts them during a performance of Joe Hisaishi’s musical works.

NW Chamber Orchestra performed A Symphonic Tribute to Joe Hisaishi: Music from Studio Ghibli films of Hayao Miyazaki Nov. 19 in the NW theater.

NW instructor of music Benson Lee directed and conducted the performance. Being able to lead a concert with music made by one of his childhood idols was a dream come true, said Lee.

“When I was young…well, I am young, but when I was really young, I would listen to his [Hisaishi’s] music and cry like a baby,” Lee said. “I always hoped one day I would be able to perform his music.”

Hisaishi is one of the most prolific and accomplished composers in Japan, known for doing hundreds of film scores, including “Spirited Away” and “Kiki’s Delivery Service.”

Among the concert’s performers were students, faculty, guest artists and NW music alumni.

NW adjuncts of music Allie Miller and Nini Rubiano played violin and cello solos on some of the pieces.

Seven songs were played. Lee would occasionally stop in between pieces to bring up their significances and how they connect to the films.

“Studio Ghibli is kind of like the Japanese version of Disney,” Lee said. “Their films bring joy, hope and tears to people.”

NW student and viola player Amari Rabb said this concert was his first experience with Hisaishi’s music.

“I’ve heard of the studio, Studio Ghibli,” Rabb said. “But not any of the films. We actually watched ‘Kiki’s Delivery Service’ recently to get familiar with the music.”

While the chamber singers were only featured on the opening and closing tracks, their contributions to the closing track ended the concert on an upbeat and melodic notes.