Original dance pieces performed in off-campus collaboration

October 9, 2019 | Jill Bold | managing editor
Photo By Joseph Serrata/The Collegian. TCC dancers take the stage at the W.E. Scott Theater in Fort Worth. The joint troupe coordinates their moves and smiles in a single performance on Oct. 5.

TCC dance companies partnered with guest artists for “Conversations in Rhythm,” a district dance concert Oct. 5 at W.E. Scott Theater in Fort Worth.

The performance benefited nonprofit Kids Who Care, an international theater troupe that instills creativity and leadership built through work in theater.

“It’s a good opportunity to see how far TCC can reach through the art of dance,” NE associate professor of dance Jenna Chang said. “It is especially meaningful that we are able to do what we love to raise money to give back to the community.”

Resident dance companies on four campuses engage in community outreach on a regular basis.

NE Movers Unlimited, NW Mosaic Dance Project, SE Fusion Dance Company and South Continuum Dance Company performed 11 pieces, bringing ensembles, solos, duos and trios to the stage, entertaining a full house.

District dance companies shared the stage with guest artist, TCU instructor of dance Sarah Newton and Dallas-based studio B. Moore Dance.

NW Campus’ Mosaic Dance Project showcased a piece from student choreographer Alexis Ramirez. Her dance, “Eaten Alive,” was chosen out of 12 students’ choreographed works in the Dance Composition class this spring.

“This work delves into eating disorders and body image,” NW associate professor of dance Lacreacia Sanders said.

The show displayed a balance of heavy and lighthearted performances, said soloist Jessica Trimble, who is a three-year member of Mosaic Dance Project.

In “Single/Taken/It’s Complicated,” Trimble said she had a great time portraying a fun cat lady.

“It’s a play on finding love,” Trimble said. “In the end, I find some sassiness.”

SE associate professor of dance Brandy Niccolai-Belfi explained the group effort that goes into putting on the concert.

“The dance faculty have to divide out the production roles for a concert of this magnitude,” Niccolai-Belfi said.

Photo By Joseph Serrata/The Collegian. NE dance company Movers Unlimited performs on stage during “Conversations in Rhythm,” a district dance concert.

Student activities and volunteer staff throughout the district assisted in bringing everything together, and TR dean of humanities Scott Robinson guided and supported the faculty in bringing TCC dancers to a professional stage outside of the district, NW associate professor of dance Amy Jennings said.

The dance departments on each campus have collaborated for several concerts so far this year with much success, Sanders said.

“This has been one of the most fulfilling of our many years of district concert production,” Sanders said. “We have all worked well together in producing this concert off campus.”

Having an off-campus concert allowed for a greater sense of community among dancers in the district, Niccolai-Belfi said. The company directors tried to provide opportunities for the dancers in each company to warm up together and observe each other’s rehearsals leading up to the performance.

Lexis Greer, member of NE Campus’ Movers Unlimited, reflected on the companies’ performances positively and said the show helped strengthen their unity as dancers.

“We are all connected,” Greer said. “No matter how hard we struggle, or where we are in life, no matter the age, we all have a connection with each other.”