Panel brings ideas for future entrepreneurship

October 16, 2019 | Dang Le | reporter
Photo by Joseph Serrata/The Collegian. Successful business leaders Robert Muñoz and Anette Landeros host a panel for Hispanic entrepreneurs to come together to network and find new ways to grow businesses Oct. 8

Successful entrepreneurs joined forces to inspire other professionals to take their businesses to the next level in the Actions Suites on TR Campus Oct. 8.

Mujeres Pioneras Extraordinarias is hosted by Hispanic Heritage Ambassadors. The event’s focus was to help business leaders grow personally, professionally and profitably.

“I want to gather a group of professionals to listen from other successful individuals,” said Dr. Robert Muñoz, executive director of community education and engagement on TR Campus.

He said that while social media is growing stronger, it is about being able to network and offer a personal touch.

Muñoz joined the panel with Rosa Navejar, the president of the Rios group and Anette Landeros, the president and CEO of the Fort Worth Hispanic Chamber of Commerce.

“Latinas are six times more likely to start a business than anybody else in this country,” Landeros said.

The speakers also stressed business owners need an elevator pitch to describe the company’s vision in a way that any listener can understand.

“Your job is not done from 9-5; business is done from 5-9,” Navejar said, explaining why she believes networking is the best method to get your business running.

Muñoz weighed in on great responsibilities once you become a boss.

“I always ask myself ‘What is the bigger picture?’” said Muñoz, elaborating on his mindset. “Where are we headed as a college?”

He also did not want to miss any opportunity to partner with emerging groups.

“I don’t know what any of you can bring forward, but I want to find out,” Muñoz said.

Navejar said one must know the business from beginning to end to be successful.

“If you rely on the other, you are relying on their skill set,” Navejar said. “You need to be able to answer all the questions regarding your business.”

When DFW Hispanic Heritage Ambassadors founder Mary Dominguez asked the panel to whom they attribute their success, Landeros mentioned how she came to a strategic point when her mentor’s brother was getting a full-ride scholarship to a university.

“How can he do that and how can I?” she wondered before figuring out the answer. “Listening and following the advice that you are given and do not be afraid to ask questions.”

She also gave her opinions on how women seldom nominate themselves for certain positions.

“As women, we are the last folks to say ‘me,’” Landeros said. 

Landeros also believes women have to help each other.

“If you see an opportunity and your girlfriend is the perfect fit, call her immediately,” she said.

To a Hispanic-filled audience, Muñoz also shared one important thing to remember: Know where their roots are and the community they grew up in will help them know the best version of themselves.

“Don’t forget where you came from,” he said.