Pantry filled by 5k participants

November 13, 2019 | Kendra Dunson and Gunner Young  | campus editor

TCC’s second-year Food Drive Bash 5K run attracted a small herd of students and faculty to NW Campus.

Runners were asked to bring canned goods for the food pantry to participate in the marathon. With Thanksgiving around the corner, the kinesiology department who hosted the race wanted to make sure they did their part in giving back.

“We kind of wanted to make it a bigger event since it’s a donation event,” associate professor of kinesiology Toni Swan said. “Everything goes to the food pantry here on campus, and it’s big around Thanksgiving, and especially the holidays.”

While canned goods were advertised as the form of admission, Swan said the pantry also accepted other donations such as clothing, household goods and bags.

“It’s a nice entry for students instead of a fee,” Swan said.

Participants gathered around the boathouse on Marine Creek Lake and prepared for the race as a DJ played music for the runners.

Some students and faculty used the race as an opportunity to achieve their personal goals.

NW student Chris Ndagano, who finished in first place with a time of 19:47, participated in the race in order to stay in shape.

“I ran for fun and to refresh myself,” Ndagano said shortly after crossing the line. “I haven’t run in a while, so it was good to be out here.”

NW student and first-time participant Jandy Simental had her eyes set on more than just crossing the finish line.

“Participating in the race made me push myself harder,” she said.

Simental, an avid runner, usually runs about a mile and a half. After running for three straight miles, she realized she could do more.

“After this race, I realized I am more capable of doing more. I’m happy I came,” she said.

NW student and parent Keely Platt brought her 3-year-old son to be a part of the race.

“It was nice to be involved in something on campus,” she said. “It’s a great thing for him to pick up on, to see other people being active. It makes him want to do the same thing.”

NW chemistry professor Luis Reyes took this opportunity to build connections with his students outside of the classroom.

“It’s all about building community,” he said. “It’s a sense of belonging that I want my students to feel and this [race] is one of the ways it can happen.”