Parents need support during unusual time

April 8, 2020 | Jill Bold | editor-in-chief

Child care outside of the home has virtually disappeared in the U.S., another symptom of the COVID-19 pandemic gripping this country, and showing grace to all parents in this extraordinary time is necessary.

The COVID-19 crisis has caused a major shift in the way children are cared for when daycares, schools and other child care providers are shutting down on an unprecedented level. Parents are facing hard choices and a lack of options.

They must grapple with daunting realities: either they’ve lost their job or they’re struggling to accomplish it at home. They are expected to deal with the ramifications of either option while leading a household.

Now add to it being a full-time, stay-at-home parent. Even if relatives lived nearby, social distancing in an attempt to flatten the curve prevents any relief for parents.

Home schooling is the third layer woven into this new routine.

Many parents are not capable of effective at-home instruction, and there is nothing wrong with that. That’s not the new normal, that’s just normal. For students, faculty and staff at TCC who are parents, the hits just keep coming.

As if keeping up with school while raising a family wasn’t challenging enough, having to spend more precious personal time making adjustments to an online learning style that may not work for everybody is difficult.

The college offers a number of support systems to help students cope with the barrage of obstacles they are facing like the Eliminating Barriers Fund (https://foundation.tccd.edu/s/1262/home.aspx) for those with financial needs.

Anyone, whether they are a parent or not, can help by being understanding of the limitations in our schedules and a general lack of patience that has become the latest battle in our new normal.

And when they finally let us loose, the kids can stay with grandma for a week while we catch up on some sleep and chores.