Podcasting craze hits various platforms

January 29, 2020 | Jill Bold | editor-in-chief
Yusuf Niyonkuru/The Collegian. NE students record a podcast during class as an assignment. The new podcast room is now located in the NCAB building, available for those who wish to record.

NE Campus has completed the nearly one-year construction of its new podcast recording booth in NCAB 1130. 

Any student, faculty or staff member from any department at TCC who requests the use of this room can now have access to the new podcasting room with more available time slots versus the previous room.

Before this room opened, podcast production took place in the Radio/TV/Film audio room on NE Campus. Podcast production began to interfere with class lab times. 

“The setup and tear down of the system was becoming problematic as well,” said NE associate RTVF instructor Patrick Hogan, who has a background in recording engineering in broadcast services.

According to Hogan, the project was enthusiastically supported by NE Campus president Kenya Ayers as well as NE dean Linda Quinn, who helped facilitate the building of this room.

“Early on in the process, those funds were generously approved through the president’s office,” Hogan said. “The maintenance department has also been very generous by providing support and materials, carpet, track lighting, room sign for Studio 1130 and really anything that we’ve asked.”    

Hogan said many departments and individuals have contributed to this project with the hope of helping the students learn more about digital media. NE RTVF student Michael Sanders, who has been podcasting on campus for more than two years, played a pivotal role in getting this project started. According to Hogan, he foresaw the need and brought it to the attention of the RVTF department.

NE RTVF instructor Darryl Hoetling pointed to the cameras set up in the corners on the ceiling for live streaming podcasts.

“We have two cameras that are linked to our TV studio…for those who want to live stream,”
Hoetling said.

The Spiteful Ones and the Editor’s Roundtable podcast already started recording their second seasons, using the new production space.

NE student Arne January co-hosts the Spiteful Ones podcast and said he’s pleased with the new setup because it’s a proactive way for students seeking a career in digital media to gain experience podcasting. 

The interior of the booth is visible through the large windows encasing the room, bringing visibility to the booth from people passing by. January said he hopes this inspires potential podcasters.

Hogan said teaching how to manage the setup and breakdown of equipment is a valuable skill he is trying to instill in students.

“All of this is about trying to operate like a professional production facility, and we make it as real world as we can,” said Hogan. “That adds some realism to it.”

Students interested in hosting a new podcast can contact Darryl Hoetling or Patrick Hogan to request time and space in the podcast booth.

“We really don’t think about the content,” Hogan said, reminding students that the subject of their podcasts is not what’s important, but what students have learned about the process and gained from experience.