Proper interview etiquette, attire outlined in session

By Kris Chunn/reporter

Wearing inappropriate clothing could cost a person the opportunity to land any job. NW career services held the Professional Career Skills workshop to help students avoid these pitfalls Feb. 25. Marina BH/Shutterstock.com

If a student comes to an interview not properly dressed, they are almost guaranteed to not get the job, a speaker from career services told NW and workforce students Feb. 25. 

NW career services administrative assistant Laticia Lerma stressed the importance of interview etiquette and the do’s and don’ts when an applicant applies for a job.

“A strong, firm handshake, a suit and tie and confidence are what will get you where you want to go,” Lerma said.

A good night’s sleep is important because keeping strong eye contact and focus is essential, she said.

“Prepare to sleep at least eight hours the night before to be sharp and ready,” Lerma said.

NW coordinator of career and employment services Tracy Williams practiced breathing techniques with the group of students to relax and relieve the stress of a job interview. 

“The three seconds of breathing in and eight seconds of breathing out technique can drop your heart rate significantly, causing you to be able to address your prospective employer a lot more calmly,” Williams said.

Students split into groups to conduct mock interviews with other students, which NW student Chase Sutliff said was helpful. 

“I can use the breathing technique in any stressful situation, not just an interview,” Sutliff said.  “I feel I walked away from here with some very good and useful information for me to succeed.” 

Sutliff said he can use what he learned from the workshop to become more confident.

“I love news and will use what I learned to become more confident and work harder to get to my dream job,” Sutliff said.

Williams wants more students to attend events like this to give them information on business etiquette.

“I hope more people show up to career skills events,” she said. “If I were a college student, I would show up to every single one just to have that information.”