Religious stereotypes must be reconsidered

BY Lisette Salgado/campus editor

People have the freedom to express their religion. However, religious background doesn’t dictate a person’s identity, but how they interact and communicate does.

Basing an opinion on a person just for what religion they practice or lack of doesn’t reflect who they may or may not be. They may be a nice person who happens to practice a religion that isn’t accepted by the majority of the people but is tolerant towards others despite their religion’s rules or misconceptions.

It originates from the misunderstanding of what a person’s religion is about or what they practice. One of my sisters, Lindsey, had the displeasure of encountering individuals hostile to her Roman Catholic religion. She did not brag, nor did she show any hate towards those of the LGBT+ community. Instead, she told someone what she practiced.

Someone from the group eavesdropped the conversation and became blindly aggressive, gathering their group to confront her. Lindsey was met with hatred and name-calling but kept her composure, explaining that her religion did not dictate who she is as a person.

There was no need for anyone to become hostile at each other based on their different beliefs. Rather, it shows that they were victims of others attacking their beliefs creating an endless cycle of loathing towards those with different views.

Despite what people believe about a certain religion, there shouldn’t be a reason to be outright aggressive to the individuals who practice it. Yet, there should be no reason for people in religious groups to use their own practices to validate unnecessary aggression against others. There is a chance that they may become good friends despite clashing views of lifestyles or opinions. If everyone were tolerant towards one another despite disagreements, then there would be less hatred towards religious groups.