RTVF program gets upgrade

Tony Harris
reporter

Recently given the green light to update their equipment and refurbish their studios, the RTVF department is upgrading outdated tech for a new generation of broadcast students.
“The students have been given an opportunity,” said RTVF instructor Brandt Sleeper. “If students come to class prepared, we can hit the ground running.”

Sleeper points to a significant growth in enrollment as the catalyst for district support.
“Over the past two and a half years, our enrollment has almost doubled,” Sleeper said.
He noted that over the past few years, trends in media have started to change. The rise in popularity of digital media like podcasts has shown prospective students a new avenue into the media industry.

“For a period, nobody was interested in audio at all,” Sleeper said “But now people realize that you can make a living doing that sort of thing.”

Before COVID-19 closed campuses in spring of 2020, the audio recording room was furnished with recording booths, all with a microphone and PC computer. RTVF student Travis Rackley found that some of it needed updating.

“Honestly this is a bit of a nitpick, but the computers used in the recording booths on campus are all Macs, while almost all the computers in the lab are PCs,” he said. “This often results in issues to newer students being unable to work on their files in the PC lab. Newer equipment could give students an edge by knowing professional equipment used in the industry.”

The audio recording studios on the NE Campus have been updated with new technology over the pandemic break. Sleeper said the recording booths now feature large condenser studio microphones along with new workstations.
Sleeper’s plans for curriculum in the fall semester involve collaboration with other departments, such as the music department.

“We actually have the microphones to start doing some high-end recording, so we can really advance the Audio II class as well,” he said. “We can bridge the music department with our department.”

RTVF student Ashton Norris said that a lot of students must rely on the school for their hands-on experience, lacking the gear at their homes.

“If the studios on campus can get as close to a full functioning professional studio as possible, I think that will help and prepare students beyond measure,” Norris said.
Sleeper said as classes resume this fall semester, RTVF students will be able to return to an updated studio full of the tools needed to learn the techniques to ensure career opportunities in the future.