SE brings art in from North Texas roads

By Meredith Lynd/reporter

Stark images greet visitors to Power Lines, on display in Art Corridor II on SE Campus through April.

John Alexander Taylor chose TCC for his thesis exhibition for his master of fine arts degree from the University of Texas at Dallas.

Power Lines features large, high-contrast mural images of the industrial world made from wall-mounted installations of black vinyl.

The local artist describes his work as a journal of images he has collected in North Texas.

“I always just drive around on Thursdays to get inspired and find different images,” he said.

Some of Taylor’s works are on etched acrylic, which use the industrial iconic imagery on multiple layers of vinyl. In these pieces, the use of depth and shadow gives the illusion of three-dimensional art works.

“I always use just black and white with subtle light and shadowing,” he said.

On one wall is a 110-foot mural. Using only black vinyl, it captures many images of power lines and towers.

“Much of the exhibit is a site-specific installation, designed specifically to fit the walls in our gallery,” said Devon Nowlin, curator and SE instructional assistant.

The 110-foot mural, for example, was created especially for the SE location as it has breaks in it for doorways or halls, making it unique, Nowlin said.

“My favorite is the wheat house series,” Taylor said, “because of the location. I found it out in Lancaster, and it was such a neat place.”

Taylor’s interest in art began as a young child.

“Both of my parents were artists, so I didn’t really have a choice,” he said, laughing. “I didn’t become interested in this type of art until about a year and a half ago though.”

Nowlin handled the arrangements for the exhibit.

“I was very excited when he approached me last year to ask me if I had an opening in our calendar,” she said.

“I scheduled him right away because I knew it would be high-quality work.

“I think that he had a clear picture of the work he was going to be creating while in graduate school and told me at that time he would keep our space in mind for his thesis exhibit.”

Taylor received his bachelor’s degree in printmaking from the Kansas City Art Institute in 2003, but he did not go there all four years.

“I went to a community college first just like you all,” he said during an artist reception last week.

“I went to Brookhaven and Cedar Valley.”

Taylor does all of his work on the computer. He uses Photoshop to create the images then uses a plot cutter to actually give his images life.

The free exhibit is open 8 a.m.-9 p.m. Monday-Thursday, 8 a.m.-5 p.m. Friday and 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday.

One can also visit his blog at http://www.johnalexandertaylor.blogspot.com.