SE joins collections with public libraries

By Elaine Bonilla/se news editor

Joseph Gabaldon checks the new books at TR Campus library. Librarians encourage students to read more between classes. Haylie Jones/The Collegian
Joseph Gabaldon checks the new books at TR Campus library. Librarians encourage students to read more between classes.
Haylie Jones/The Collegian

Borrowing books and DVDs from the Arlington public library just became easier for SE students and faculty with the new LibraryLiNK program that just launched in the SE library.

The LibraryLiNK is a shared library system between the cities of Arlington and Mansfield. The program allows public library cardholders from either city to use their cards at either of the cities’ libraries. Recently, this program has expanded to local elementary schools, recreation centers, the YMCA and now SE Campus.

“We’re excited to have this new service at our campus,” said SE library services director Jo Klemm. “Students don’t have to make that extra stop at the public library anymore.”

The convenience of LibraryLiNK allows the cardholder to log in to the Arlington library website, request an item and designate the SE library or one of the other sites as the pickup location. In a few days, the public library material will be delivered to the LiNKstation lockers.

After the material arrives at the lockers, an email is sent with a passcode to retrieve the items. Once entering the passcode, the user will be prompted which locker holds the materials and it is theirs to borrow. Once finished with the items, they can be returned to the Arlington library drop box at the LiNKstation.

These LiNKstation lockers are the second type of its kind in the area, said Derek Perdue, Arlington library public service coordinator.

“This will help students and faculty with research since they aren’t just limited to what we offer but what Arlington library offers too,” said SE librarian Lilianna Cano.

For anyone who lives in Arlington, Pantego or Mansfield or works for the City of Arlington, obtaining a library card is free. Students of Arlington ISD, Mansfield ISD or the University of Texas at Arlington                                                                                                                          can also obtain a free library card. Those who don’t meet the criteria for a free card can purchase one starting at $25 depending on which services they would like to include.

Cano said this is a way to integrate more of the community, and the SE library staff will continue to welcome the neighborhood to SE.