SE opens African Culture Club

By Marley Malenfant/reporter

SE students Dorcas Dibaya and Moleka Makila discuss an upcoming show in a meeting of the new African Culture Club on SE Campus. The show will debut April 8.
Corban La Fon/The Collegian

Students who want to know more about Africa’s background can join the SE Campus African Culture Club.

The club originally was going to be an African dance club. The idea came from two SE students, Moleka Makila and Dorcas Dibaya. They both went to SE sociology instructor Roc Callaway.

The three of them thought it would work better as more than a dance club.

Callaway said the first meeting had more than 50 students in attendance.

“I suggested incorporating other aspects of African culture as well, and from this, we began to move to make the club official,” he said. “By the end of the semester, we had taken care of making the club official with student activities, officers were chosen and more than 90 students had expressed interest in becoming members.”

Callaway said he wants students to be hands-on with the club. Students are working on an African culture show which debuts April 8. The show will consist of fashion, drama, singing and dance.

“The club proposes itself to promote and educate others about the rich diversity and beauty of the continent of Africa and the many people who inhabit it,” Callaway said.

Many of the African students who joined the club said it provides a comfort and a way of being with their people. SE student Gbenga Ogboi said the club feels like home.

“It’s like a whole new continent coming together in a circle,” he said. “When I see my people, it reminds me of Nigeria.”

SE student James B. Knight Jr. said he felt unfamiliar with his background and wanted to know more.

“A lot of African-American people don’t know our ancestry,” he said. “We have roots that define our personality.”

Callaway said the club has a weekly meeting and is surprised by the number of students in attendance every week.

“Last semester was my first semester with TCC, so I did not have a good sense of how active or not student groups were here on campus,” he said. “I expected about 20-30 students max to become active members this semester. Of course, I have been pleasantly surprised at the overwhelming response of students to the club.”

SE student and club publicist Dominique Ndouagni said the club attracts students who are African or have African ancestry.

He said after being away from Cameroon for so long, the club was a way for students like him to connect.

“There was no club at TCC when I first got here,” he said. “So when I leave here, I want our people to remember this.”

Dibaya, club vice president, said she was surprised that students of different minorities would attend the club.

“I was shocked to see so many American people and Hispanic people come to the club,” she said.