SE students stay fit by clearing obstacles

By Violet Vasquez/reporter

With temperatures in the 70s, 45 students arrived at the SE Campus sand volleyball court last week to prove their fitness.

HPE instructors Traci Stonum and Evelyn K. Parkhurst, department chair, organized the campus’ second Intramural Fitness Obstacle Course on Friday.

The fitness obstacle course was free for TCC students. Some students participated to receive extra credit for PE class while others did it for fun.

The participating students had to go through 10 different obstacles to complete the entire course. The obstacles included sprints, tire pulling, a medicine ball run and rope ladders on the ground.

Second place in the women’s competition was a tie. Liz Grasher and Louise Olivares both had a time of 2 minutes, 16 seconds. In the men’s competition, Junior Gonzalez came in at 1 minute, 50 seconds putting him in second place. All three students received a sports bag as their prize.

First place in the women’s competition went to Kellie Velasquez with a winning time of 2 minutes, 12 seconds. Sergio Garcia took first place in the men’s competition with a winning time of 1 minute, 48 seconds. Both of the students are defending champions from last semester. They each received a sports watch for winning first place.

Student Eben Enoh had a time of 1 minute, 51 seconds, only 1 second away from tying for second place. He jokingly said he should have gone to work instead of participating in the fitness obstacle course but added that he still had fun.