Senate forum held to discuss wants, needs of campus organizations

ALYSON OLIVER

The NE student Government Association held its monthly Senate Forum Nov. 11. They invited students and club leaders to join on Blackboard Collaborate and ask questions, bring up concerns and discuss new projects.

Leaders involved in Phi Theta Kappa, the NE campus LGBTQ+ Pride Club and the NE campus Dance Club were present.

“We have held this Senate Meeting to help you guys achieve your goals, and discuss the tasks that we told you guys we would work on to help you and the members of your club,” SGA president Setu Patel said at the start of the meeting.

She also asked attendees to introduce themselves and invited leaders to discuss their

clubs’ needs and current projects.

The SGA represents the college’s student body, according to TCC’s website. SGA mem- bers strive “to achieve a healthy relationship between the students, faculty and administra- tion” while making sure students’ needs are met.

According to Patel, SGA is currently working to help students when it comes to get- ting scholarships and accessing online tutoring.

They are also in the process of planning a game day for the clubs so that members can connect and participate together.

Yuaneli Garza, co-leader of the NE Dance Club, said her club is considering ways to give donations during the holiday season. Potential- ly, each member would choose an organization and donate a shoebox or a giving tree for a child via the organization’s dropoff location. These donations could go to several organi-

zations such as Mission Arlington, Salvation Army or Safehaven of Tarrant County. Addi- tionally, the dance club leaders are thinking of making blankets to give to homeless organiza- tions.

The donations would double as a vol- unteer opportunity for any student who was willing to participate, club member or not. The Dance Club will record students’ volunteer hours so long as they receive a record the stu- dent participated, such as a photo of what was donated.

Additionally, Garza explained how the dance club is adjusting to the new virtual en- vironment. They are now using Blackboard Collaborate and Zoom to host their meetings, and members are free to exchange phone num- bers if they like. They are putting a focus on maintaining open communications during the COVID-19 pandemic.

NE LGBTQ+ Pride Club officer Thomp- son Kithcart also joined the discussion. He said his club is doing well in terms of their outreach.

Kithcart described the club’s difficulties moving to a virtual format, however. Meeting in person was ideal as it provided a safe space for discussion, and every virtual platform has drawbacks that have prevented them from meeting so far. For instance, the ability to cus- tomize display names is especially essential for transgender students, and some platforms not having that option creates a problem.

Patel, SGA member Adamia Davis and SGA adviser Victor Ballesteros offered suggestions and said that while these issues are not resolved yet, there efforts to find solutions for them.