SE’s Team Gas reigns victorious at tourney

By Jeremy Moore/ campus news editor

Participant Anthony Manzano leads Team Gas into battle Feb. 12. The championship game was part of SE Campus’ intramural dodgeball tournament.Bogdan Sierra Miranda/The Collegian
Participant Anthony Manzano leads Team Gas into battle Feb. 12. The championship game was part of SE Campus’ intramural dodgeball tournament.<br.Bogdan Sierra Miranda/The Collegian

Team Gas defeated Ball of Duty to take home the crown in SE Campus’ dodgeball tournament Feb. 12.

The two teams faced off in the championship playing in a best-of-three series. Team Gas won the championship after an error by Ball of Duty. Looking to hit an opponent, the final remaining Ball of Duty member accidentally crossed the half-court line, which was a violation. After he was called out, Team Gas celebrated its victory.

“We just listened to each other, came up with a good strategy and played a team game,” Team Gas member Alexis Gamez said.

Despite the loss, Ball of Duty stayed positive. The team also participated in the SE volleyball tournament last semester. Team members believed their chemistry helped them reach the championship game.

“It feels terrible to lose, but we’re coming for redemption next year,” Ball of Duty member Eric Ruiz said.

SE student Charles Blackwell competed with the Warriors, a team that fell short in the second round.

“I was looking to lead my team to victory,” he said. “I’m a winner, so this loss doesn’t feel good.”

The Irish Car Bombs also competed in the tournament. Last year, they reached the semifinals and lost, and it happened again in this year’s tournament. Despite coming up short, they enjoyed their experience.

“It was fun playing again this year,” Irish Car Bomb member Connor Rodriguez said. “It’s also great to meet so many new people.”

About 70 students came out to compete in the tournament, and many other students came to watch. All participants received T-shirts with second place also getting black drawstring bags and the winners getting large gym bags.

SE kinesiology instructor Shahzad Nazir believed the tournament was a great tone-setter for this semester’s intramural events.

“The fun and excitement really got everybody going,” he said. “We had a lot of competitive students who lost today, so I expect them to come back for redemption in some other events.”