Session prepares students for competitive job market

By Kris Chunn/reporter

NW career services administrative assistant Laticia Lerma and NW career services specialist Dee Nevill explain that attending a job fair helps them meet their professional goals. Charles Okafor/The Collegian

College students should start networking and having business cards as soon as they can if they want an easier time finding a job, according to NW career services advisers.

NW career services specialist Dee Nevill and NW career and employments services administrative assistant Laticia Lerma talked to students about a job fair on April 1 where at least 50 employers will be on campus to talk to students about different career paths available to them.

Lerma said she wanted students to have information about getting a solid start, such as a business card to bring to the fair to help employers know more about the student and how to contact them.

“Having a business card allows employers to know what direction you are going and if you fit what they want in an employee for their company,” Lerma said.

Nevill told students exactly what they should have on their business cards for both freshman college students and students who will graduate soon.

“You should have your first and last name, your pathway and your graduation class year on your business card,” Nevill said.

Networking and having connections will help students get to certain jobs they want, she said.

“Networking is the number one thing we would want students to do as they are progressing through college and into their pathway,” Nevill said.

NW student Charles Wilson spoke on how he felt on filling out a business card and what he learned from the session.

“I feel more prepared for when I look for my next job,” Wilson said. “I am looking forward to attending the college fair to find employers I can get information from and where I can get employed.”

All students can attend the job fair April 1 held from 1-4:30 p.m. in WSTU 1301 on NW Campus.