Simulated reality with tangible emotions

Photo courtesy of Disney
WandaVision, the first Disney-Marvel live-action show, begins the fourth phase of content for the Marvel Cinematic Universe. The season finale was released March 5.

LYDIA REGALADO

Disney Plus’ original series “WandaVision” wrapped up this past week, giving an exciting and expressive glimpse into the workings of Wanda, the Scarlet Witch.

Wanda Maximoff and Vision are two of Marvel’s supernatural beings who move to the town of WestView, N.J.following the aftermath of “Avengers: Endgame.”

They are newlyweds and just want to live like normal people, but their lives begin to quickly fall apart.

A black-and-white ‘50s inspired season premiere shows Wanda and Vision as they begin their seemingly perfect lives. At first, they hide their superhuman abilities behind shenanigans, funny jokes and distractions like their nosy neighbor, Agnes, who becomes Wanda’s confidant.

Vision hides behind a human appearance and has no problem at his job since superhuman intelligence and speed are a few of his many powers, but when he starts to think about it, he can’t remember what his company actually does.

When his boss and wife show up for dinner, Wanda and Vision are unable to answer simple questions like when they were married or why they moved to town.

Color starts flickering through the black and white frames

On the launch weekend, the first two episodes of WandaVision had a viewership of about 6 million Disney+ subscribers, according to Forbes. as town members begin to notice the pair’s charade. After Wanda and Vision cannot keep up with their own act, they begin to feel like prisoners of an augmented reality controlled by mysterious forces. Other characters seem disillusioned and forced to play along, until they don’t.

Each episode is set in a different decade and has a different opening theme.

The ‘50s style of the first episode is marked with remnants of “I Love Lucy” followed by a “Bewitched” intro in the second episode.

The show fast-forwards through the decades in full color with “Brady Bunch” visuals and “Partridge Family” music cues.

Later episodes mimic “Malcolm in the Middle,” “Modern Family” and “The Office” as the live audience dissipates and characters begin talking to the camera.

Even though the laughter from the audience is lost somewhere in the middle of all the changes, someone or something continues to watch Wanda and Vision’s life play out like a TV sitcom.

Seemingly nonsensical retro commercials are built into the episodes, which add to the show’s mystery and give the viewer clues about Wanda’s past.

This can be a fun series for new fans because viewers don’t necessarily need to know the complicated character backgrounds to understand and enjoy the plot.

The shows are much different than the comic books and this series does a fantastic job telling Wanda’s origin story to the cinematic universe without being overly confusing.

The season is easy to follow and binge-watch since episodes are only about 20 minutes long except the finale, which is about 40 minutes.Each show constantly changes themes and character plots which adds nostalgia and excitement. We also get to see the build up of how Wanda acquires her powers and ultimately becomes The Scarlet Witch.

There are plenty of Easter eggs and character face-offs during the series, leaving the door wide open for future movies and cameos.

Fans of the Scarlet Witch can look forward to seeing her in the upcoming movie “Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness,” which will release in theatres March 25, 2022.

As far as the WandaVision series, you never know who, or what to expect.

4.5/5 Stars