South to feature cerebral play about humanity

By Martin Ramirez/ south news editor

Scott Wild and DeZundre Clark rehearse roles as psychiatrists in the South play Fugue running April 14-16. Photos by Bogdan Sierra Miranda/The Collegian
Scott Wild and DeZundre Clark rehearse roles as psychiatrists in the South play Fugue running April 14-16.
Photos by Bogdan Sierra Miranda/The Collegian

South Campus is examining human complexity with the play Fugue by Lee Thuna.

South drama instructor Richard Haratine, who directs the play, said the cast will dig deep into the human mind due to the play’s psychological nature.

The play is about an amnesiac woman taken to a young psychiatrist to find the memories she is running from.

“It’s realistic, but it’s also done in a very abstract way where personality, conversations —

Naomi Roundtree, Victoria Nearn and Jasmine Ingram act a scene involving a daughter, her friend and her mother.

imaginary conversations — are taking place live in front of them [the audience],” Haratine said. “It’s exciting because we don’t know what’s going on in people’s heads. We can only imagine.”

Haratine said the actors have had a good time and work well together for the production despite the short preparation time they had. Haratine said they had to change from their originally planned play, The Boy Next Door, due to the lack of males in the class.

“I had to make a few cuts because it is a rather lengthy play. That’s not really unusual,” he said. “I’ve tried to stay as true to it as I could. The story is the main thing we are trying to tell … that is my main priority.”

South student Jasmine Ingram, who plays the role of Mother, said she hopes the audience will walk away thinking “huh.”

“I want [the audience] to walk out of there, like, thinking but not feel so horrible,” she said. “I want them to be able to laugh a little bit at some of the stuff because some of it’s really funny but then leave kind of somber.”

She said she saw the similarities between her and her character because of their motherly nature.

“I think I can be motherly at times,” she said. “I just really want what’s best for my friends like the same way I want what’s best for my daughter.”

South student Naomi Roundtree plays the lead female character Mary, a woman found in a “fugue” state of amnesia.

“It’s fantastic. I’m so excited,” she said. “My character is really quite a bitch … she’s just full of herself, that’s all.”

South student Scott Wild said he got the role of Dr. John Oleander because of his articulate speech and hopes the audience will enjoy the drama of the play.

“I’m not usually that angry compared to my character,” he said.

The show begins at 7:30 p.m. April 14-16 in the Carillon Theatre. Performances are free for all TCC students, faculty and staff with their ID. Tickets are sold on performance day beginning at 7 p.m. and are $3 for non-TCC students and senior citizens and $6 for the general public. No late seating is allowed. Adult language and situations will be shown.