Speed dating anchors SE Valentine’s

By Shelly Williams/se news editor

As Valentine’s Day draws closer, those still shopping for their sweetheart will have the opportunity not only to buy a gift tax-free but also the opportunity to help fund school organizations.

Sponsored by student activities, SE Campus will host a Valentine’s Day Shopping Spree 7 a.m.-7 p.m. today through Friday in the Commons area.

Student organizations will man booths designed to look like a shopping mall.

“We found that many people don’t have an opportunity to shop for Valentine’s Day gifts, so this is the perfect opportunity to shop while on campus and not have to pay a lot for a gift,” said Nita Haliburton of student activities.

Customers can go from “store to store” to shop for gifts while some students will sell raffle tickets ranging from $1-5 for prizes such as stuffed animals and baskets filled with candy.

“Most of the organizations raise money to attend conferences specific to their clubs,” Haliburton said. “Other groups will raise money to make donations to charitable organizations.”

One of the groups, Invisible Children, will donate the profits to an international group of the same name that aids and brings awareness to the troubles of some of the children in Uganda.

To raise the money, the group will sponsor a speed dating event.

Invisible Children will allow participants to sit and then rotate places to visit with other participants. Every hour, a new round will start and each participant will have five minutes to talk and exchange information.

Speed dating will take place at 1 p.m. today in the Bistro. The first round is $2 a person, and subsequent rounds are $1.

“We encourage students and faculty to stop by, look around and support the shopping spree and the organizations in the spirit of giving and goodwill since most of the money is being collected to be sent as aid to some organization,” Haliburton said.

The Valentine’s Day Shopping Spree and speed dating are open to the public.