Spring enrollment impacted by pandemic

ROBERT MORRISON
reporter

File photo/The Collegian
TCC district has decided to continue distanced learning during the spring semester leaving online courses as the only option for students and professors.

COVID-19 has already affected TCC enrollment, and students weigh in on their decision to enroll in the spring semester.

Student Cristian Granado said school is less of a priority and he chose to focus on his health and his family by taking fewer classes this spring.

“School is important, but right now in this moment there are things far more important to me that need my immediate attention,” he said.

Being a person who thrives in a classroom setting, Granado thinks virtual learning will impede his ability to learn the course material.

“Online classes will be a chal- lenge for me because I find that I’m a better learner when I’m able to engage with the professor and students around me,” Granado said.

Student Lexus Rodriguez has taken less of an educational load since the pandemic started. Being a hands-on learner, she said she doesn’t want the pandemic to hinder her learning experience with the im- portant classes in her major.

“Since I found out that next semester will also be virtual, I am no longer taking the core classes I had hoped to take,” she said. “I will just be taking one of my basics again. I will probably continue this plan until we go back to face-to- face learning.”

Rodriguez said she will spend less time socializing and working to focus on the few classes she does plan to take online.

Student Van Nyugen said she has adjusted well to virtual learning and doesn’t have a problem enrolling full time in an online learning environment.

“My course load has not been changed drastically since COVID,” Nyugen said. “I have already adjusted to it and adapted my other obligations around it.”

She said she plans to stay on track with her original plan for school and start applying for nursing programs. She is confident that her ability to adapt to new environments will help her continue to thrive in whatever school setting she finds herself in, no matter if COVID-19 is present or not.

“I have goals to achieve and want to take any opportunity that will m,” she said.