STEM labs expand, evolve

By Andrew Smith

Students receive help on their assignments at the NE math/physics lab in the NTAB building. SE also offers assistance with math and science in the ESEE building.Bogdan Sierra Miranda/The Collegian
Students receive help on their assignments at the NE math/physics lab in the NTAB building. SE also offers assistance with math and science in the ESEE building.
Bogdan Sierra Miranda/The Collegian

NE Campus’ math/physics lab has evolved from a place to ask questions about homework into a mecca for educational success in all avenues of science and math. 

With the lab’s continued growth, mathematics professor and lab manager Tai Vo has structured the learning center to offer TCC students readily available resources and seven experienced tutors.

“We’ve seen about a 35 to 40 percent increase of college students who stop by the lab,” he said. In the fall, “we averaged 12,000 people, about 150 a day, so we’re constantly adapting.”

In the spring, the learning center in NTAB 2204 will feature a mentor initiative for TCC students that focuses on both the basic-level classes and those working toward a degree in STEM fields.

Team leader Andrea Clark and other instructional associates provide consultation in specific areas of student coursework through biweekly review sessions, individual tutoring opportunities and upper-level calculus and physics seminars.

Collectively, the lab has transitioned according to student needs by offering all levels of math, science and engineering tutoring while also maintaining a personable atmosphere, Clark said.

“We’ve seen students come from all over to get the one-on-one attention they get here at NE,” Clark said.

SE science learning center manager Keith Kennedy said its facility in ESEE 3205 also offers tutoring for STEM students in the areas where they need help, such as biology.