Students are concerned to file taxes this season

KEYLA HOLMES
keyla.holmes@my.tccd.edu

With tax season in full swing, students are doing what they can to make sure they file on time. For some, the process isn’t smooth sailing due to students having varying levels of understanding about filing taxes.  

Some students don’t understand the significance of filing and how the process works.

South student Kayla Blanco said that knowing what filing your taxes means is important. 

“I think I was trying to get my W-2 from my job and I just remember thinking ‘wait why do I need this,’” she said.

The deadline to file federal tax returns is April 18th, and Blanco said that she’s nervous about doing everything in time.

“I’m just so scared of like – what if I don’t get it done in time,” she said.

Blanco said that she didn’t receive much education on filing taxes in high school. She gives the information needed to file to her dad, and he takes care of the rest.

“They don’t really teach about it in school, so the only information I’ve gotten is from my parents,” she said.

South student Margarita Valdez said that she thinks filing is confusing and also doesn’t feel confident about what she was taught in high school.

“In high school I took a class about it, but I feel like it didn’t really help,” Valdez said.

While some students may not feel knowledgeable on doing their taxes, there are resources that can help.

TCC doesn’t offer any services themselves, but for those in need of tax assistance the VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) program offers services on South and Southeast campuses through April 15th. 

According to the TCC website, items like a photo ID, an original social security card, and a copy of last year’s tax return are.

South student Samaya Niraula has already filed his taxes, and said that it was easy and that he didn’t have any issues. He offers some advice for those who may be new or nervous about doing their taxes. 

“For students who are filing for the first time and have no idea where to go, a good resource is the internet or Youtube,” he said. “There are videos of people who guide you on how to file taxes, so that’s really good.”

Niraula also advises students to talk to friends and family who have been filing for years. While he said the process is a smooth one for most, he encourages new filers to be wary of who they go to for help.

“I think it’d be good for students to also just be careful about who they’re giving their information to,” he said.