Students feel the love on NW

By Bethany Sanderson/reporter

The annual Love Conference hosted by NW Campus will be 9 a.m.-3:15 p.m. April 28.

The event will offer workshops in the areas of self, family, friends and romantic love.

“I think the theme of Love is Worth Fighting For is one that will touch a different chord in students and participants,” said NW communications instructor Ava Jenkins.

Each year, the committee picks an individual from the Metroplex who demonstrates unconditional love, said NW speech instructor Carol Hunsberger.

Phil Taylor, a local artist who draws portraits of those who have been killed in action and presents them to the family, will present the keynote address 12:30-1:30 p.m. in WSTU 1303/1305.

Two NW students will deliver speeches in honor of two fallen soldiers after Taylor’s presentation. Then Taylor will present his portraits to the families.

Workshops begin 9:30-10:45 a.m. with It’s All About Attitude with Zach Frohlich in WSTU 1305, The Five Love Languages with Dr. Bobbi Stringer in WSTU 1303 and Toxic Relationships with Amy Dossett of Safe Haven in the Michael Saenz Conference Center.

The next workshops are 11 a.m.-12:15 p.m.: Picking Your Perfect Partner with Jenkins in WSTU 1305, Love vs. Lust with Jay Green in WSTU 1303 and Love vs. Addiction with Valtron Triche in the conference center.

Final workshops are 2-3:15 p.m.: It’s All About You with Joe Maestas in WSTU 1305, Love and Loss with Jay Green in WSTU 1303 and Pursuing Your Passions with Hunsberger in the conference center.

The conference is designed by NW speech students.

Registration is required and will be April 19-21 and 25-28 in the WSTU lobby in front of the bookstore.

The event is free to TCC students and employees.

Those in attendance for the keynote address must have a ticket.

“Free Hugs” T-shirts will be on sale in Army camouflage color for $12 pre-conference and $15 the day of the conference.

The money raised will be donated to Taylor’s American Fallen Soldier Project.

“I think the conference will be moving this year,” said speech instructor Frohlich. “I think the keynote speaker will draw more students this year than any of our previous keynoters have drawn.”