Students transferring to four-year universities share their end goals

TR student Huda as well as workers Hailee and Audrey dine in the cafe found on TR campus. Alex Hoben/The Collegian
TR student Huda as well as workers Hailee and Audrey dine in the cafe found on TR campus.
Alex Hoben/The Collegian

ETHAN PLINSKY
reporter
collegian.editor@tccd.edu

College students have many things to think about before deciding to transfer.

Everybody’s educational path is different, and deciding to start a college career at a local community college instead of a university is what many people decide to do. From affordability, requirements for transfer and desired major, considering a transfer to a four-year school should not be taken lightly.

NE student Kiahna Mickens said she was eager to transfer to a university for many reasons.

“The college I plan on attending following TCC is Texas Tech University,” Mickens said. “They have a phenomenal nursing program that I feel I would excel in. I am super excited to see how many friends I make as well as becoming more independent.”

NE student Christopher Hale said he is excited to continue his education but is quite nervous to potentially be in school for roughly the next 10 years, including graduate programs.

“I plan on going to [the University of North Texas] because not only is the location convenient, but getting a liberal arts degree at UNT simply makes sense,” Hale said “However, if the opportunity presents itself, I would attend Rice. I’m excited to further my education and learn more about the subject I have an undeniable passion for. However, it is a lot to handle, and I could very easily be discouraged.”

SE student Savannah Rose spoke about how her family has always been Texas Tech fans, so it was always expected that she would follow in her family’s footsteps.

“Taking the jump toward independence can be scary sometimes because of the fear of failure, but I’m excited to take this jump and learn more about myself and the hospitality industry,” Rose said.

The accommodations the school provides can benefit students in completing their goals, Mickens said. 

“Texas Tech will help me achieve my goals because of the nursing resources they have to offer,” she said. “I feel like there isn’t another school that provides the same number of resources that I need to excel.”

Different universities can assist in achieving goals, Hale said.

“Going to UNT or Rice would help me achieve my goals by first, giving me a good education, and second, they both have reputable programs that are highly sought after in my desired field,” Hale said. “Name recognition is also a huge factor, more so with Rice than UNT.”

Four-year universities typically provide many types of programs that are highly accessible for different majors.

“Texas Tech has one of the best hospitality programs in the nation to teach students to meet current and future hospitality needs,” Rose said. “Obtaining this knowledge will help me reach my goals of exploring different parts of the world, meeting different kinds of people, and keeping the hospitality industry sustainable for everyone’s enjoyment.”