TCC alumni share success stories after transferring

February 19, 2020 | Jordan Turpitt | reporter

Charles Okafor/The Collegian. NW administrative assistant Leticia Lerma and NW career development specialist Cassie Fennel discuss the vision board with a student during “How to Succeed at TCC Without Really Trying.”

A student panel on NW Campus shared tips on how they have been successful in and out of TCC at How to Succeed at TCC Without Really Trying Feb. 12.

Students shared personal success stories and what they learned at TCC.

Success coach Sarah Devries said the event was organized to help all students, but especially first-time college students. 

“Success coaches differ from counseling advisers in that we concentrate on new college arrivals,” Devries said. “The focus of the panel is for students to share their experiences.”

Former TCC student and panelist Stacie Hill said she remembered a time when she was scared to ask for help at first because she thought it was a sign of weakness.

“It is OK to ask for help when you need it,” she said.

NW student and panelist Jazael Garcia said there were many resources at TCC that helped
him succeed.

“I have visited the academic learning centers, the library and the math tutoring center, and they have been helpful and nothing but nice to me,” Garcia said.

Former NW student Selena Moreno attended TCC ten years ago but didn’t finish. She has decided to come back.

“There are so many more resources now than there were ten years ago,” Moreno said.

She said she could relate to most of the students’ stories on the panels and had gone through similar things.

Panel members shared their daily routines and talked about how they are heavily involved on campus. But they also have busy lives outside of school as well as many responsibilities.

Former student Carlos Monsante said his days at TCC
are long.

“A normal day at TCC is 7-8 hours, but sometimes I’m here for 10-12 hours with work, extra-curriculars and classes,” he said. “Yet the more I’m involved, the more fun I have.”

Panel member and NW student Joseph Alfaro thinks students should just chill. 

“College is a fresh start,” Alfaro said. “We aren’t in high school anymore.”