TCC continues to aid students in academic success

Gaelle Marcel
@gaellemarcel

JANINE SHUMAN
reporter

The TCC Foundation offers a multitude of scholarships every semester, but a lot of them go unfilled due to a lack of applicants. 

Students should not feel discouraged from applying regarding qualifications. Angelina Molina and Susan Dunn, administrative assistants with the TCC foundation, encourage every student to apply for scholarships despite their preconceived beliefs as there are opportunities for every student. 

“Our donors make it possible for TCC to offer a wide variety of scholarships with varying eligibility requirements,” Dunn said.  “Some scholarships are tailored to specific applicants, including but not limited to: students pursuing a specific major, those with a history of volunteerism, first-generation students or single parents.”

Some scholarships require students to maintain a certain GPA and be enrolled in a specified number of credit hours.

Applying for scholarships at TCC is a simple process.

Many people miss out on additional financial support in avoidance of a task they regard as tedious.

“Students only need to complete one general application,” Molina said. “They [students] are automatically matched with all scholarships for which they meet the criteria, according to their answers to the application questions.  Meeting the criteria does not guarantee a scholarship offer.”

In addition to the general application, the foundation requires two professional references for consideration.

South student Reginald Garth applied to scholarships he was matched with and earned multiple awards.

“As students, it is important to exercise our innate right to ask for assistance where given and if it is in the form of funds that push for academic success, it would be wrong to turn down such an offer, dare I say foolish,” Garth said. “While it is not always 100% guaranteed that a student will win a scholarship, it is worth taking the time to apply in the instance that you do.”

For Garth, his scholarship awards helped him combat the financial obstacle standing in the way of his educational aspirations.

“There were many times when it seemed like attending college might not be an option for me,” Garth said. “These funds have helped to ease the stress of not having enough money to attend college and in turn, helped my family and I stay afloat during these trying times.”

Molina and Dunn advised all TCC students not to procrastinate submitting their applications.

“The application will open Feb. 15, 2021, and close at 11:59 p.m. April 9, 2021. Do not wait until 11:59 p.m. though – the application will shut down promptly,” Molina said.

There is no shortage of awards waiting for dispersion to deserving students.

With a diversified profusion of scholarships targeted towards several types of students, Molina and Dunn hope every student takes advantage of the opportunities the TCC foundation offers.

“We have scholarships each semester that go unfilled. We encourage students to invest in themselves by applying for scholarships,” Dunn said. “To our students I say, ‘Be bold, apply for scholarships and take that next step towards your future.”