TCC dance companies offer trips, experience

By Alexis Poe/ reporter

In March, SE’s Fusion Dance Company will travel to Collin College, NW’s Mosaic Dance Company will send members to New York City and NE’s Movers Unlimited will go to Chicago.

Plies, pirouettes, splits — TCC students are perfecting these dance moves and others across the district.

Dancers looking to hone their skills can enroll in a variety of classes offered from tap to dance composition.

Students who enroll in a dance appreciation course on NE or NW campuses become members of the Northeast Dance Company or Northwest Dance Company, respectively.

No audition is required to join these companies at all levels, ages and abilities, NW dance associate professor Amy Jennings said.

All campuses except for TR host a touring dance company that requires an audition. Auditions are held each summer, and requirements vary among companies. Each allows students to learn and perform a range of pre-professional level dance skills.

“Being a part of the dance program has opened my eyes to so many different styles and different ways of dancing,” SE student Sarah Vickery said. “My horizons are always expanding here.”

SE’s Fusion Dance Company members will perform at the American College Dance Association conference at Collin College in March.

Eligible members of the NW Mosaic Dance Company receive scholarships for studying at TCC and performing with the company. They will also perform at the conference in March.

Six NW dance students will travel to New York City during spring break to take classes at three studios: Broadway Dance Center, Alvin Ailey Studios and STEPS on Broadway. They will also see a Broadway show and participate in site-specific dance improvisations throughout the city, NW dance associate professor Lacreacia Sanders said.

Sanders offered advice to all dancers.

Collegian file photos
The dance companies across TCC campuses allow students to learn pre-professional level dance skills.

“Focus on the journey and know that it takes time to reach your goals,” she said. “Also, soak in everything from every teacher. It’s best to take as many classes from as many instructors as possible to gain new perspectives throughout your dance training.”

South’s Continuum Dance Company performs 10 to 20 times per semester across the DFW area.

NE’s Movers Unlimited will head to Chicago in March to take classes at Hubbard Street Dance Chicago and volunteer at the Greater Chicago Food Depository, NE dance professor Kihyoung Choi said.

“We’re not just teaching students to be better dancers,” Choi said. “We’re teaching them to be better people.”

Each company volunteers at local schools and fundraisers throughout the school year.

Many of the dance professors also teach master classes at high schools to recruit new students.

“Outreach is a huge part of what we do,” Jennings said.

Jennings also will teach a dance program in Ireland in May. The trip is open to all TCC students and community members.

Participants will take dance classes in Ireland, go to the Dublin Dance Festival to see international artists perform and receive credit for DANC 2303.

Applications are due by Jan. 31. Contact Jennings at amy.jennings@tccd.edu or 817-515-7174 for more information.