TCC springs back with its Welcome Week

NE students sign in to get free shirts and food and grab a photo with TORO at NE Campus. Joel Solis/The Collegian
NE students sign in to get free shirts and food and grab a photo with TORO at NE Campus.
Joel Solis/The Collegian

HOPE SMITH
managing editor
hope.smith393@my.tccd.edu

As the spring semester began to arrive after TCC’s winter break, each campus made sure both new and returning students were met with open arms in activities meant to encourage involvement and acceptance.

Beginning on Tuesday, Jan. 17, Student Activities and other organizations focused on hosting an event or helpful station for the week. 

For NE Campus, the staff had been preparing some time prior to the kick-off date. Student activities coordinator Courtney Matthews explained that it was good to start off on “Toro Tuesday” for the students beginning the semester. 

“It was wonderful to have Toro there, a lot of students came over and took pictures with him and they were like, ‘I do this every semester!’ to kick off, you know, ‘my academic year’ or semester at the time,” Matthews said. “So that was really amazing to just have students have their own tradition.”

South Campus held many activities and prize winning opportunities, as well as a BBQ with police where students were provided food and given the opportunity to interact with the campus police.

SO student activities member Edith Cruz said she enjoyed the “Wild Wednesday” event, which was Western themed and involved a mechanical bull ride, a Western costume contest, and giveaways. 

“The country music and all the food, snacks and goodies given away passed the vibe check,” Cruz said.

For NW Campus, they had multiple help stations set up to direct students called “Ask Me Tables” where Navigators could assist finding classes, provide snacks, and hand out pins and maps at each table.

NW Student Activities coordinator Rachael McCloskey explained that a favorite of hers from the week’s events was the boba tea provided to students.

Students are always so excited to see them on campus,” McCloskey said. “It was also fun to see students’ excitement about a free T-shirt on TCC Tuesday.” 

SE Student Activities coordinator Veronica Guzman said that the Welcome Week had gone very well.

“The Game-A-Thon was definitely the highlight,” Guzman said.

The event, which is only held in the spring semester according to Guzman, included arcade games, pingpong, air hockey and pool.

Guzman said that this event had the most student turn out with and sum of over 350 students who signed in. 

Guzman also said there were “definitely new faces at the event,” and was able to recognize them from the spring new student orientation. 

TR student development services director Carter Bedford explained that welcoming students was a pleasure. He said that TR had made sure that there were activities like breakfasts, snacks and open-house events throughout the week for students both returning and new to choose from. 

“Hopefully students were able to take in some aspect of this week at TR and know that they are welcomed here,” Bedford said.