TCC students discuss the significance of financial aid, FAFSA

Gem Smikle uses the financial aid office located on NE campus in the NADM building to help with her financial needs this semester. Joel Solis/The Collegian
Gem Smikle uses the financial aid office located on NE campus in the NADM
building to help with her financial needs this semester.
Joel Solis/The Collegian

XAVIER BOATNER
xavier.boatner@my.tccd.edu

The FAFSA is here to provide numerous financial aid opportunities for high and low-income students across the nation.

Applying for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is a great way to qualify for financial aid through things like work-study positions or federal grants. With the price of college growing steadily over time, knowing where to go in order to seize the chance to reduce the cost of education is important.

Consulting someone like a counselor on campus who specializes in financial service is one of the best ways to start a FAFSA journey. TCC has dedicated financial aid offices with their own unique contact information available to all students.

“It’s [FAFSA] definitely important, and although some may not need it – it’s still very useful,” TCC financial aid representative Angelleana, who preferred not to disclose her last name, said. 

Despite the handful of financial benefits, there seems to be a lack of information about it making the rounds. Not very many students know what the FAFSA specifically is or what it offers. 

Connect student Alexie Uribe said she is vaguely familiar with what the FAFSA is, but not yet familiar with what exactly it can provide.

“I am aware of it in general, but I do not really know the details of how it works and how to get it,” she said.

While detailed information about financial aid isn’t quite as widespread on campus as it could be, Uribe still believed that it is valuable to college students.

“Higher education is important and not everyone can afford it,” she said. “It allows more people to have more opportunities.”

Connect student Caleb Wallen said “I think it [FAFSA] is very important due to the rising costs of education,” Wallen said. “It has become a necessity for the majority of students to pay for school on their own.”

When asked whether or not she thinks enough students know about the FAFSA, Uribe said, “No, not really. I think they may know a little bit about it, but not enough to take full advantage of it.”

The advertising of the FAFSA and other financial aid opportunities around campus hasn’t made as big of an impact as it could given the application’s usefulness. 

A push for increased advertising and financial aid opportunities could vastly improve the turnout of students who apply and save people a lot of money. 

Wallen said he believes there are avenues colleges and financial services could take to nudge students in the right direction in an unintrusive way.

“I think campuses could advertise better by creating a link for it in Canvas or in Web Advisor that is clear to see and easily accessible,” he said.

Angelleana said there are flyers strung up across TCC campuses to help point students in the right direction, but she believed the best way to spread the word is simply by word of mouth. She said a good place to start looking for more information is on the Tarrant County College webpage or the Federal Student Aid webpage.

“One of the best ways is for students to talk to each other,” Angelleana said.