‘Teen Wolf’: disappointing us after six years

Teen Wolf wolves Derek Hale and Scott McCall fight against the Nogitsune, an ancient Japanese being, while attempting to rescue the deceased character Allison Argent. The movie came out on Jan. 26 on Paramount+. Photo courtesy of Paramount+
Teen Wolf wolves Derek Hale and Scott McCall fight against the Nogitsune, an ancient Japanese being, while attempting to rescue the deceased character Allison Argent. The movie came out on Jan. 26 on Paramount+.
Photo courtesy of Paramount+

OLLA MOKHTAR
olla.mokhtar@my.tccd.edu

“Teen Wolf: The Movie” came out after a hiatus of almost six years, and I have never been more disappointed. 

To begin, arguably the most important character in the series, Stiles Stilinski, was not there. Shock, disbelief and distraught are words that come to mind when Dylan O’Brien announced that his character would not be in the movie. So, going into it it can be assumed that the movie was not going to be the best.

The movie’s plot was okay. It was about bringing back Allison Argent, a character who had died, back into the land of the living after her father and Scott McCall, the protagonist, had visions of her screaming for help. She is caught by the Nogitsune, an ancient Japanese being that feeds off of pain. 

The need for the series to bring back dead characters was seriously annoying. Not only have the characters that remained alive moved on, but the dead tend to ruin other aspects of people’s lives too. The movie continued this with Argent horribly.

Everyone seems to be going about their lives, 15 years after her death. But she just had to appear once again so they all gathered in Beacon Hills to save her. Admittedly, my animosity towards her arrival was due to my enthusiasm towards McCall and Malia Tate, the coyote of the pack. Their ‘love’ seemed more genuine but Allison ruined that with her screams for help. 

While McCall’s alpha mentality—to no one’s surprise—remained, the possibility of the movie being more than just about saving Allison seemed like the better ideal. Because everything about the series was very hot and speedy, it would have been a fresh perspective to the entire franchise.

There was more cussing than expected, the series was not very family friendly considering the fact that people are in danger all the time, but the target audience seemed to be the younger Generation Z. Some prude cussing was in the series, but their obvious steer towards ‘authenticity’ crashed into an oak tree. 

The movie wasn’t all bad though. The fact that they still cared about each other years later and how they banded together to save one of their own was admirable. McCall isn’t a demanding alpha but a guiding one, so he guided his pack pretty well in trying to save Allison.

The whole movie was about two hours long, and for the amount of information surrounding the plot and considering the fact that it was an action movie, everything felt rushed. There were so many developments in the 15 years that they haven’t seen in each other that would have been great to uncover.

For instance, how McCall recovered from everything that occurred in his teen years, especially with being chased by a million supernatural species in order to save either himself or people in Beacon Hills. I’d even watch it if it was a little longer than two hours.

Unfortunately, this did not happen. Stiles’ famous and very loved Jeep was there but he wasn’t. Allison being saved was boring even with the special effects, and there was cursing galore. It just felt like an elongated episode, and hopefully if there is another season or movie, a better job will be done – with Stiles of course.