Therapy dogs will provide relaxation to TR Campus

By Jessica Badejo/ reporter

Ed Suba Jr./Akron Beacon Journal/MCT
Ed Suba Jr./Akron Beacon Journal/MCT

Because TR Campus understands how bad test anxiety can get during finals season, it is offering Therapaws May 7-10.

This event allows students to relax during the busiest part of the semester in the fluffiest ways.

Certified therapy dogs will be available to students, faculty, staff and whoever else wants to spend quality time with the pups for two to four hours at a time. This will be the fourth semester for the “pawsome” event.

TR library technician and event sponsor Stephanie Wineman believes bringing in a few furry friends could help students deal with the added stress of finals week.

“It has been a great way for the students to take a bit of stress off,” she said.

SE student Moses Arawole couldn’t agree more.

“The anxiety of finals can be overwhelming for college students everywhere, but not every school offers the stress relievers that students need,” he said. “I’m glad I can come to this campus to study and can still be able to take a break with a puppy or two.”

Therapaws hasn’t always been a hit, however. The event declined in attendance last semester, but the sponsors are hoping to get numbers back up.

“Therapaws was a big hit when it took off in the fall of 2014,” Wineman said. “Last semester, the turnup wasn’t so great.”

In an effort to get the word out this semester, posters were plastered on the walls of TR Campus weeks in advance.

Delta Hearts of Gold is a partner with Therapaws. The nonprofit corporation, located in Fort Worth, offers volunteers, trains, evaluates and mentors therapy animal teams.

“We want to expand the therapeutic role of animals in human health, service and education,” according to the group’s website. “Our mission is to improve human health through service and therapy animals.”

Students can participate in Therapaws in the TR library noon-2 p.m. May 7, noon-4 p.m. May 9 and noon-2 p.m. May 10.