TR Campus instructs students on searching

The TR Library is providing a new service to its students involving the Internet.

Since February is Information Literacy Month on TR, the librarians want to give students an insight on how to search the Internet properly.

“It’s desperately needed,” said Danelle Ellis, TR library services assistant director. “Students, the general public even, do not know how to use the Internet to search properly, and they need to.”

Ellis believes that students need to learn to evaluate results and know what sources are reputable.

The class is designed to show students where to look for sources and the quickest means to find them.

“We want to teach them [students] how to use proper search techniques and how to use online or digital library resources,” Ellis said.

As an added bonus for taking the class, the library will award each student a certificate that can be shown to teachers to receive extra credit. However, not all teachers grant points for such activities, so students need to check with their instructors.

“You go once, get a certificate and then you can get extra credit on Trinity River Campus,” Ellis said.

Classes are open until March 4 and free for students to attend. For more information, contact Ellis at danelle.ellis@tccd.edu or Carol Everhart, TR library services director, at carol.everhart@tccd.edu.

– Ciaran Lambert