TR supports, features LGBT students with TREE week

By Ciaran Lambert/tr news editor

Students of the Trinity River Equality in Education group are standing together for We Are TREE, a weeklong event Feb. 14-18 to show support for TR Campus’ lesbian, gay, bisexual, transsexual, questioning and allied students.We Are TREE honors the students, counselors and teachers that helped make the LGBTQA group what it is today, said former TR student and TREE organizer Oscar Avila.

The week will include art exhibits focusing on work done by LGBTQA students, library exhibits with books on LGBTQA and posters showing TR gay/straight unity, presentations and the dedication of a tree to illustrate acceptance.

Lori Leach, TR counselor, is also excited to see this event become a reality.

Leach said TR President Tahita Fulkerson asked the campus to focus on multiculturalism and diversity to increase understanding and respect among students, faculty and staff.

“She’s been extremely supportive of our organization since its inception,” Leach said.

Leach is one of two TREE advisers.

The other adviser, TR English associate professor Justin Brumit, will present a book review on A Genealogy of Queer Theory at noon Feb. 16 in TREF 1402.

Avila was a driving force for the club’s existence.

“It was founded back in January 2010 and spearheaded by myself and others … but has been kept going by other students throughout the semesters,” he said. “I first approached other students and SDS [student development services] about starting a group that focused on the gay community and supporters. It was important to establish a place where students could have a safe space to collaborate on ideas, meet and be an important group that would be a part in educating the TCC TRC student body about the gay community.”

Leach said that she wants students to know that everyone is welcome to attend and participate. Avila shares that notion.

“Just to join us, express their thoughts about our group, about the school supporting such community, express any feelings, thoughts, etc.,” he said, “because without communication, there can be no progress.”

We Are TREE begins at 12:30 p.m. Feb. 14 with the tree dedication in TRTR Trinity Plaza.

For more information, contact Leach at lori.leach@tccd.edu or Brumit at justin.brumit@tccd.edu.