Transfer center aids students in move to four-year university

janine shuman

For South Campus student Rignald Gartth, selecting the right university was the most time-consuming part of the process.

Gartth spent a lot of time conducting research on various universities, attending information sessions and contacting faculty to better aid his decision. His ultimate choice was based on selecting the university that best served his academic interests.

“Remember, it’s an investment for your future, so make sure you are fully prepared and set on making the decision that you can look back and be proud of,” Gartth said.

TCC South campus Transfer Center coordinator Sandra Bermejo encourages students to use the transfer assistance provided by TCC to make the process smoother for students.

“Students should contact or visit a Transfer Center in their first semester,” Bermejo said. “TCC Transfer Centers sponsor numerous events with universities, and collaborate with other TCC departments such as the Writing Center, Career Services, Financial Aid, Advising and Counseling.”

TCC NW Transfer Center coordinator Rachelle Montero believes students will feel more at ease with the transfer process if they reach out to the Transfer Center located on each campus. 

Montero said each Transfer Center will work with students one-on-one and create a personalized plan to aid them in a smooth transition beginning in their freshman year.

Gartth took advantage of the transfer aid TCC offers and notes that asking for help made his transfer so much easier.

“Ask as many questions of your transfer advisor, the university advisors, etc. no matter how silly they may seem,” Gartth said. “You’d be surprised how many people end up regretting their choices simply because they assumed the institution would provide certain necessities or services rather than humbly asking.”

Gartth encourages students who may feel rushed by an array of deadlines to allow themselves a break from the time-consuming process.

“Truthfully, it can be stressful to have to review and send out so much information only to cross your fingers and hope that you are picked to go to the university of your choice,” Gartth said. “Don’t put anything off until the last second, but, please take care of yourselves, breathe and ask around if you are unsure of anything!”