Transportation gives new access

By JW McNay/campus editor

All five TCC campuses are now connected by public transportation with the addition of the two Trinity Metro bus routes that began service Aug. 13.

Route 23 connects NE Campus to the Richland Hills Trinity Railway Express station, and Route 67X connects South and SE campuses. The new routes do not operate on weekends or major holidays.

“Limited access to our NE and SE campuses has long been an issue,” said communications and external affairs vice chancellor Reginald Gates.

TCC students who are enrolled in three credit hours or 48 continuing education contact hours can ride all Trinity Metro routes for free with their activated student ID. The copy center on each campus can activate the student ID, but this is only necessary for students whose ID was issued before April 16.

The ID also allows students to travel on the TRE train inside Tarrant County for free, allowing travel between the downtown Fort Worth Intermodal Transportation Center and CentrePort/DFW Airport stations.

“I think it’s a great idea,” said NE student Ryan Russell. “I know a lot of college students don’t have a whole lot of money, and some of them can’t even drive.”

Russell said even students who can drive themselves might find it useful if their car ever breaks down, providing a sure way to get to school.

“It’s a really cool resource we can actually take advantage of,” said NE student Carter Owenby, adding that the buses enable students who can’t drive the ability to take classes on multiple campuses.

While TCC students may primarily use the bus routes for school, they can use the service for any reason for free with their student ID.

“It’s our hope that more students of Tarrant County will have access to the education training opportunities available at all of our campuses,” Gates said.