Viewpoint-Cicely Tyson leaves behind great legacy

STAYCE PETTIES

Cicely Tyson, who was one of the world’s greatest actresses, passed away on Jan. 28. 

Tyson was an African American actress and fashion model whose career expanded for more than seven decades. Her portrayal of strong African American women is what garnered her so much attention and acclamation.

She paved the way for so many Black actresses and actors. Tyson was the Black goddess of film.

Tyson became well known for her movies and acting abilities. In her lifetime, Tyson received three Primetime Emmy Awards, four Black Reel Awards, one Screen Actors Guild Award, one Tony Award, an honorary Academy Award and a Peabody Award.

Tyson initially had minor roles in film and television. As she continued in her career, her aspirations grew larger, which is reflected by her performance in the 1972 film “Sounder.” Her role as Rebecca Morgan in the film was a fire-starter to a long career.

Tyson continued acting in the growing film industry and on television in the 21st century. In 2011, she played the phenomenal role of Constantine Jefferson in the award-winning film, “The Help.” The movie touched the hearts of many, and not only that but, it was something about Tyson’s acting that pulls you into the characters she portrayed.

She saw a resurgence through  Tyler Perry-directed films that touched the hearts of many such as “Madea’s Family Reunion,” “Alex Cross” and “Diary of a Mad Black Woman.” 

Any film Tyson acted in, you felt her performance to your core. She gave you what you came to see. Whether pain, joy or fear, you lived it and experienced it through her.

Though she is gone, her legacy will continue because she impacted the hearts of so many people in the film industry. The achievements and awards she won will remain in the hall of fame of film and television history. 

Tyson was, and forever will be, the best female actress with a phenomenal legacy that will never be replaced or erased.