Viewpoint-People need help during job crisis

linda puga

Since the rise of Coronavirus cases all over the country, our unemployment numbers have gotten significantly higher, rising from 3.5% in February to 14.1% in June. This has led to an increase in the number of workers affected by COVID who have applied and been awarded benefits through the federal government.

President Donald Trump’s CARES (Coronavirus Aid, Relief and Economic Security) Act was passed on March 27 for those who could not benefit from Unemployment Compensation, Extended Benefits, or Pandemic Emergency Unemployment Compensation that can be provided assistance through the Pandemic Unemployment Assistance program. 

Regular benefits are given for up to 26 weeks. Each program gives benefits for a specific period of time depending on eligibility, especially with all of the programs added in response to the COVID outbreak. 

These programs put in place that last for a certain duration are great for those temporarily off work or who simply can’t return for a set period of time only, as opposed to others who may not be going back for a while and will need more benefits. 

Some programs like PEUC last up to 13 weeks, HUP for up to seven weeks, and PUA for up to 46 weeks. As of June, the unemployment rate in Texas is 8.6%, and the total number of unemployment claims as of the beginning of August is 61,723. With cases rising each day in every city and county, the rate of unemployment will continue to rise due to the precautions businesses are taking to ensure the safety of their employees. 

The federal government should continue to expand benefits to continue to provide for those individuals who need it and can’t go back to work yet. In addition to that, it’s important to rely on people going to work when it is safe for them to continue and use their benefits to supply their essential needs.

It’s equally as important for the government to continue planning accordingly for these programs that benefits both the people and the recovery of the nation.