Viewpoint-Teachers need to do better for students

STAYCE PETTIES

Right now, all over the world, students are suffering from the switch of campus life to online.

For students adjusting, it’s difficult because they’re not used to taking primarily online courses. One thing that teachers are forgetting is that we’re struggling and trying to adapt to not being face-to-face.

Teachers can’t stay after class to sit down and explain a subject over again to students, meaning college courses have become more difficult. Of course, it’s understandable that teachers also have some adjusting to do as well, but they have to remember that we are the students and they are the teachers. Neglecting to give us extra spe- cial attention could be the downfall for many.

My sister has experienced growing pains because of the transition.

She’s had multiple issues communicating with professors digitally. Usually, in a physical course, you can get an answer almost immediately since the instructor is only a couple of steps away from you, but now, it can take upwards of a week for a response.

The unreliable nature of online courses has added a mountain of stress to students. My sister is not only a TCC student but she’s also a single mother of three. She said even reach- ing out for help and asking for another option to reach her teacher is tedious because the teacher informed her the only way to chat was by email. On the days of the actual virtual class, she would not help either.

There was a lack of communication. My sister also shared with me that there were times where she felt like she wanted to give up or quit due to the treatment she was getting and felt like her teacher did not care.

I know for sure that Johnson isn’t the only student who has experienced this because I have gone through the same neglect from a teacher. This type of behavior needs to be corrected.

Students are suffering and just because teachers are adjusting doesn’t mean they can neglect their students. We’re trying just like them.

There has to be a better underling of what students need from teachers.