Viewpoint-Why your vote can make a difference

MADDY REMINGTION

Why should we even vote? That’s a question with many answers. Still, so many Americans choose not to use their voice by voting. Many respond that it is our duty as American citizens, our chance to be heard, and our way for us to make a change. The one thing not heard as often is an election can make a difference in each of our lives.

An election can make a difference in ones real estate taxes. It can make a difference in what policies the school board decides on that affect ones children. It can make a difference in what services are available. Elections are far more than just a presidential election. In fact, it’s local elections that truly count.

Elections touch every one of our lives by allowing us to have a say in what our representatives are focusing their energy on like how much money is allocated to roads, social services, schools, etc. Politicians represent one’s interests, so if one wants something
prioritized in government, vote to elect officials that will prioritize is- sues important to the people. A common misconception is that one’s vote for president doesn’t matter because
of the Electoral College. But it could come down to a single state deciding between a Republican or Democratic administration because of the Electoral College. And who knows? This year, it might be Texas.

Historically, elections have beenoverlooked. In 2016, only 66.7% took to the polls out of the 1 million registered Tarrant County voters.

Now more than ever, one should care about what’s happening with our
local representatives making policies pertaining to the COVID-19 pandemic. One can research each of the people on your ballot using the free website, ballotready.org. One can also register to vote using vote.org. The deadline to
register to vote in Texas is Oct. 5.

If you don’t like politics, then change the way the political landscape is made by voting the public servants into office that are in it for the people, not their self-interests. The people give the government power, so take charge of one government and go to the polls.