Wait for hostess, South speaker advises

by Jessica Badejo/reporter

The Brand U-Etiquette Luncheon May 6 on South Campus began with mocktails, questionnaires and small talk.

“We don’t correct other’s etiquette. We just know our own,” said Robin Bone, Texas Wesleyan University’s career services director.

Bone discussed the ins and outs of successful networking and explained how to overcome tricky situations. She showed how to hold a wine glass properly depending on the wine, store business cards and shake another person’s hand with both hands full.

She also explained the importance of nametag placement.

“Nametags should always on be on the right side because it’s in the line of the sight when you’re shaking hands,” she said.

Plate arrangement is a huge piece of etiquette, Bone said. The multiple cups, plate and forks can be confusing if placed in front of someone who doesn’t know the simple rule of “outside in.” Salad forks are placed on the far left along with the bread plate.

The host is the main focus during soirees, dinners or galas, Bone said

“Keep your eyes on the host,” she said, “but don’t gawk.”

Bone encouraged attendees to stay standing as long as the host stands. She said no one should sit or eat before the host has been seated or served.

Everyone should also be aware of the proper way to eat while socializing, Bone said. They should take small bites and avoid silence by getting to know the people seated close by. She also demonstrated how to properly fold a napkin and call a server’s attention.

Bone also gave a couple pointers on how to give nonverbal cues at the dining table. Napkin placements all have different meaning as does utensil placements. With positive nonverbal cues come negative nonverbal cues.

“Seasoning your food before you taste it could say that you’re impulsive,” she said.