Ways a student can use their TCC degree

NINA BANKS
managing editor
nina.banks@my.tccd.edu

Although many students come to TCC with the goal to transfer to a four-year institution, an associate’s degree is an option that many have overlooked. 

On Sep. 11, SE career advisors Julian Ramirez and Chi-Cory Cole organized a table at the commons to answer the question of “What can I do with an associates degree?” 

“TCC offers a wide range of associate degrees leading to different career pathways,” Cole said. “Students can use an associate degree to continue their education to get a bachelor’s degree or also pursue jobs in different career fields.” 

In his experience, Cole discussed how many students are unaware of their options. 

“The main reason why we decided to have the event is because a lot of students — sometimes this is their first stepping stone into college so they don’t really understand what they can do with just an associates degree,” Cole said. “Some students think “Oh if I get an associate, I have to go to university” which is the best course of action. But if they don’t want to go to university, you just want them to know there are job opportunities out there with just an associate.” 

For SE success coach Veronica Estrada, most of the students she encountered come to TCC seeking to transfer to earn a bachelors. 

As a success coach, Estrada helps students determine a career path.

“We are the frontline people of new students,” Estrada said. “We see a wide range of students. It’s a unique position to be in because we get to explore through conversation if there is an interest and to be able to provide that information to them before they see an academic advisor. That way they are already alert,  they can go in with questions, they are a little more prepared as to what it is to what they are going in for and a little more excited to set their program in place for their degree. 

After earning his associates degree, SE student Blake Bailey intends on transferring to the University of Texas at Arlington to get a degree in finance. 

“I have always wanted to go to college to pursue a higher education just because it opens up more opportunities,” Bailey said. “I know you can still do a lot with a high school diploma,  I’ve seen it. But it just opens that door.” 

According to Texas Comptroller, 46% of students that pursue higher education went to community college. Bailey hoped more students would consider TCC first. 

“I hope so because this is honestly a great experience,” Bailey said. “It’s not what I thought it would be at all. The education here is great and if I could, I would probably just go here all four years to get my bachelors degree.” 

[metaslider id=”50002″]