Weight of finals too overwhelming, students say

By Alex Wright/ reporter

Toward the end of the semester, students begin to prepare for the big finish of their classes: finals.

Amanda Boyd/The Collegian
Amanda Boyd/The Collegian

When a new semester begins, many students’ main focus is the outcome of the many classes they will take.

“I worry more about my final grade and my final test more than I worry about the little assignments throughout the semester,” TR student Paige Thomas said.

Although students should focus on their work and their final test, some wonder if finals should carry so much pressure. The final test is worth 10 to sometimes 50 percent of the final grade depending on the class. When students hear this at the beginning of the semester, usually when the professor goes over the syllabus, some say the pressure to do really well becomes unbearable.

Some studies show that across the country, final exams are being diminished and replaced with things like take-home tests, group projects and individual papers.

“With final exams, it leads to a week of study, study, study,” Thomas said. “It’s over, and then you move on with your life.”

Many students say they feel both mentally and physically drained after an intense week of studying for finals.

“Trying to maintain and balance a life filled with social and educational aspects tends to become stressful, especially when you are trying to reach the career goal you set for yourself when you set out for college,” TR student Channing Kilgore said. “I always feel like I do really well throughout my semester until the week of finals hits, and I feel like I have forgotten everything important and my whole college career lies on these tests.”

With all of these worries and the built-up pressure felt from students, some also offered tips to help others pass and feel better in general about finals week.

“Sleep is key during finals week as well as just being prepared in general,” Kilgore said. “What helps me when I am stressed is to physically meet and speak with my professor. That way I can feel as prepared as possible for my final that week.”

Other tips included making time to take a good study break, surrounding oneself with other students who may have the same concerns and, if needed, visiting the tutoring labs.

“Your professors are your biggest support group if you just let them know about your concerns,” Thomas said.

Students have a number of resources on TCC campuses, but as Thomas said, teachers are a primary source.

“When students ask me for help during finals week, I simply ask them to bring the class review or whatever review they have created for themselves, and we go through the points one by one to make sure they have a genuine understanding of the material they were given,” TR/NW communications adjunct Susan Waring said.

Some students transferring to four-year colleges are concerned about the outcome of their finals. However, if they have already succeeded in their previous classes and then take a final that they happen to fail, the effects it would have on their transfer are generally not detrimental.

With finals week approaching fast, the main thing to remember is that it’s just one test, one test that can be aced if students study and prepare.