Workshop provides students with help on FAFSA

October 9, 2019 | Lissette Salgado | reporter

Each October, colleges and high schools encourage students to file for financial aid through workshops they provide, but many do not use the available services for fear that they don’t qualify.

For this reason, NW campus offered its students a financial aid workshop on Oct. 2 and Oct. 3, supplying them with laptops and assistance in filling out their FAFSA and/or TASFA forms.

“A lot of students don’t think they are going to make it,” said financial aid associate Yvette Vasquez. “We always ask them ‘have you done your FAFSA?’ and they tell us ‘no, I don’t think I’ll qualify.’”

The Intercultural Network, success coaches, transfer center and financial aid office attended the event, helping students by answering financial aid questions and offering students other financial aid opportunities. 

The Intercultural Network provided light beverages to students who registered for financial aid and personally assisted them with any questions or concerns they had.

“We provide them with resources and assistance with financial questions,” said Miguel Gonzalez, an International Network work study student.

WSTU 1303 was set up with plain tables and chairs, and laptops were provided after signing in at the front desk. A couple of volunteers strolled around, aiding students with their questions and needs.

In a quiet environment, students were able to apply for financial aid without stress or hassle. They benefited from the support of volunteers, who both have experience with the process of financial aid and those whose jobs are to help TCC students.

“My role today is making sure students get through their financial aid,” said success coach Sarah Jon De Vries. 

NW campus financial aid office is open to students Monday-Thursday 8 a.m.-7 p.m. and Friday 9 a.m.-5 p.m. in WADM 1212A.