Workshop Stresses SMARTER Goal-Setting

JEANETTE JENSEN
reporter
collegian.editor@tccd.edu

Many students have goals but fail to accomplish them because they are undefined, unrealistic or unplanned, TR success coach Kennedy Voussine said April 13.

During a workshop at the TR Intercultural Network Discovery Center, Voussine said setting and working toward goals can be challenging, but implementing the right strategies with consistency and persistence can help students achieve them.

Students who are serious about achieving their goals should utilize the SMARTER (specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, time-bound, evaluated and readjusted) goal-setting method, Voussine said.

“The SMARTER method helps push you further, gives you a sense of direction, helps you organize your goals and increases your chances of success,” she said.

To set a SMARTER goal, students need to get highly specific about that goal by describing it down to the very last detail, ensuring that it is measurable, Voussine said.

While lofty long-term goals are okay, SMARTER goals should be slightly out of reach but still achievable, Voussine said.

A goal must also be relevant to students’ values and beliefs and attuned to their other goals, Voussine said.

Students should set a clear timeframe to achieve their goal so they do not procrastinate, Voussine said.

After students have defined their goal, they should create a detailed plan that outlines step by step what they need to do to achieve that goal, Voussine said.

Once students have a clear plan to achieve their goals, it is time to get proactive and put that plan into action, Voussine said.

“To make acting on your goals much easier setup to-do lists, keep a planner, stay organized and maintain a healthy routine,” she said.

Students should also identify and write down possible obstacles to their goals and how to navigate them, to better overcome them, Voussine said.

Students should create an accountability system to ensure they are committed to holding themselves accountable and working toward their set goals, Voussine said.

“Having an accountability partner provides an extra incentive as the ideal partner will encourage you to stay motivated and focused on your set goals,” she said.

After students work toward their goal, they must evaluate their progress and readjust their plan to achieve it, Voussine said.

“If you are not having success in accomplishing your goal, revise your plan along the way toward achieving your goals,” she said. “You do not have to change your goal, but you can and should change the plan as often as needed to get closer to your goals,” she said.

TR student Emanuel Rodriguez said he learned to consider possible obstacles when setting goals.

“Accounting for obstacles is not something I thought of, but I will be more mindful of them in the future,” he said.

TR student Vanessa Aguilar said the SMARTER goal-setting method is helpful and wants to use it more often.

“I tend to be broad and not specific when setting goals, but I realized that you have to be clear with your goals if you are going to accomplish them,” she said.